There is a lot of information around healthy eating available on the internet, so for me it’s important that it comes from a reliable source, like the British Heart Foundation
Landing on the website also led to one of those moments where I saw a meal jump out at me as I read. Browsing through the list of foods I saw fish, tomatoes, eggs and salad which instantly made me think of tuna nicoise. Tuna is one of my favourite fish, which always leads me to feel puzzled as to why I don’t eat more of it!
- 2 fresh tuna steaks, quite thick (you can use tinned if you prefer)
- 1 mini gem lettuce
- 6 cherry tomatoes (or replace with any tomato you prefer)
- 1 tin of anchovies
- 2 eggs
- 10 small new potatoes (I used Anya potatoes but any baby potato will do)
- 5 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar or sherry vinegar
- Freshly chopped basil, chives and parsley
Next, boil the potatoes for about 10-15 minutes so they are still firm and allow to cool. Boil the eggs for 5-6 minutes (less if you like them softer) and run under cold water to stop them cooking. Remove the shell and quarter the eggs. While these are cooking you can quickly cut the mini gem lettuce into 8 and rinse. Quarter the tomatoes and put a few anchovy fillets on some kitchen roll to soak up some of the oil.
While the tuna rests, you can start plating up. Place the lettuce in a bowl and top with the tomatoes, eggs and new potatoes. Cut the tuna fillets in half and lay over the salad, along with the anchovies. Spoon the dressing over the salad and enjoy!
UK/IE 2013b/00058i; Date of preparation: December 2015